When I left the USA, I decided to keep my US phone number as so many things are tied to it. After a few months in Australia, it suddenly stopped connecting to the network.
Now, typical debugging for this is relatively straight forward:
- Double check APN settings
- Disable other SIMs (and restart, everything involves a restart)
- Switch between physical and eSIM
- Removing the account completely and going through full setup
- Reinstalling the Fi app
- Disable an re-enable international coverage
- Using dialer codes
Unfortunately, none of that worked. It would attempt to connect and then, zero bars.
So, I called Fi support. First, step through APN settings, because that’s where all troubleshooting starts. Pointed out I was a few steps ahead and customer service brought up a new one for me: switching the cellular Data Speed.
- Settings -> Mobile -> The Fi plan -> Voice & Data: Switch to 4G
- Settings -> Mobile -> Mobile Network: Turn off Automatic.
- Wait until available networks appear, which might take two minutes. Try every network.
Select the network and, yippee, it’s connected. Maintains the connection when turning back to Automatic too.