Bread and Butter Pudding
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serves: 8
- 1 liter milk
- 4 eggs
- 40 ml butter
- 40 ml currants or sultanas
- 60 ml sugar
- 4 slices bread
You will need a baking dish that is larger than the dish you are preparing the pudding in. This will act as a water basin.
- Preheat oven to 160 ºC
- Place fruit in dish
- Butter bread
- Cut bread into 4 slices
- Place slices of bread on the bottom of the dish and then overlap a second layer in the other orientation.
- Beat eggs and sugar, add milk and mix thoroughly.
- Pour mixture over bread.
- Put small slices/dabs of butter around the top of the pudding.
- Optionally, allow to sit for 30 minutes
- Place baking dish in another larger dish.
- Places pudding in oven and add water to the dish acting as a basin. This should stop about 80% of the way up the side of the pudding basin.
- Bake until set.
Best served: Hot, or cold with cream and caster sugar
This recipe has been doubled as we never make a single serve.
- Storage: Refrigerator for 4-5 days
- Freezer: No
- Reheat: Microwave