For the chicken and stock:
- 1.5 kg whole chicken
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 small onion, halved
- 10 ml salt
For the pie crust:
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 2.5 ml salt
- 175 g unsalted butter, diced into 1 cm cubes and chilled
- 50 g of the butter can be replaced with shortening if you prefer
- 45-60 ml very cold water (I put it in the freezer with the butter while prepping everything else)
For the chicken pot pie filling:
- 85 g unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 65 g all-purpose flour or arrowroot
- 375 ml milk
- 5 ml chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 75 ml dry sherry
- 150 g green peas, frozen or fresh
- 30 ml minced fresh parsley
- 10 ml salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg, whisked
Chicken and Stock
- Place the chicken, carrot, celery, onion and salt in a large stock pot.
- Cover the ingredients wit water.
- Bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken and put it somewhere to cool for 15 minutes.
- Continue simmering the stock while it cools.
- Tear the meat from the chicken carcass in strips.
- Put the chicken bones back in the pot.
- Continue boiling the stock until there’s 1-1.5 liters remaining.
Reserve 650 ml of stock for the pie. Put the rest in the fridge for another purpose.
- Combine the flour and salt in a mixer or food processor.
- Add the chilled butter and mix until the butter is in 1-2 mm granules.
- Add the chilled water slowly, mixing until the dough sticks together when you press it between your fingers.
- Flour a clean surface and roll the dough into a ball.
- Flatten the ball and place into a sealed container.
- Store for at least 30 minutes, up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 200 ºC.
- In a large frying pan, or dutch oven, melt the butter on a medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery and carrot.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the flour or arrowroot and stir it in.
- Cook for another minute.
- Whisk in the reserved chicken stock.
- Whisk in the milk.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often, until thick and creamy.
- Add the chicken, thyme, sherry, peas, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Pour the filling into two pie dishes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until it’s about 5 mm thick.
- Cover the pie dishes with the crust, pressing it down on the sides to seal.
- Use a fork or the tip of a knife to cut vent holes in the middle of the crust.
- Use a pastry brush to apply the egg wash to each pie.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Best served: Hot
If there’s a concern about the pies overflowing, place them on a baking sheet.
A gluten free version can be made by skipping the crust and using arrowroot as the thickener for the filling.
- Storage: Refrigerator for up to 5 days
- Freezer: Yes
- Reheat: Microwave or oven