- 225 g dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 30 ml orange liqueur or brandy
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 4 extra large eggs
- 90 ml heavy whipping cream
- 45 g caster sugar
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Take off the heat.
- Whisk in the liqueur.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and creamy.
- Beat egg yolks into the melted chocolate until well blended.
- Whip cream until soft peaks form.
- Stir a spoonful of the cream into the chocolate to lighten it, then gently fold in the remaining cream.
- Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually sprinkle sugar into the egg whites while continuing to mix until stiff and glossy.
- Stir 25% of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten, then gently fold in the remaining whites. It’s perfectly ok to leave white streaks.
- Chill for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
Best served: Cold
If separating into individual sized dishes, do so before chilling.
When folding ingredients in, ensure you scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl so that the mixture is consistent.
Orange Ginger Alternative:
Replace the liqueur with:
- 2 oranges
- Rind from both
- Juice from one
- 100 g crystallized ginger, diced finely
At the point where you would whisk in the liqueur, whisk in the orange juice. Once it is completely absorbed into the chocolate, whisk in the rind and ginger.
- Storage: Refrigerator, for a few days
- Freezer: No
- Reheat: No