- 60 g butter
- 125 ml milk
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 175 g caster sugar
- 180 g self-raising flour
- 20 ml cocoa, x 2
- 175 g brown sugar
- 500 ml boiling water
- Combine butter and milk in a large saucepan or pot, stirring until butter is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in essence and caster sugar.
- Stir in sifted flour and 20 ml of cocoa.
- Spread mixture into a greased ovenproof dish.
- Sift brown sugar and 20 ml of cocoa over mixture.
- Gently pour boiling water over mixture.
- Bake at 180 ºC for 40 minutes.
Best served: immediately after cooking
The brown sugar can be difficult to sift, I found a large coarse grained sieve worked best for me (for reference, I usually use a fine grained sieve to sift flour).
A normal sized (~3 liter) baking dish can take a double of this recipe.
Goes well with vanilla ice cream.
Vanilla essence can be substituted for others, such as mint. I often use double the essence as I prefer stronger flavors.
- Storage: Best eaten immediately, can be refrigerated for a few days.
- Freezer: No
- Reheat: Microwave