- Shortcrust pastry
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 egg white
- 500 ml cream
- 250 ml milk
- 50 g castor sugar
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Line a 24 cm x 4 cm deep flan tin with pastry and bake blind at 200 ºC for 20 minutes.
- Lightly beat 1 egg white and brush baked shell liberally
- Bake shell for further 5 minutes
- Remove and reduce temperature to 160 ºC
- Beat all egg yolks
- Warm cream and milk
- Stir in sugar until dissolved
- Add to egg yolks and mix gently
- Strain into pastry case
- Bake for 1 hour until just set (check after 50 minutes)
- Grate fresh nutmeg over the top while still warm (the more the merrier)
Best served: cold
You can be quite generous with the nutmeg, it does benefit significantly from being freshly grated rather than pre-grated.
If you don’t have a flan tin, a pie dish works just as well.
- Storage: Refrigerator for 2-3 days
- Freezer: No