- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Makes: 750 ml
- 250 ml full cream milk
- 250 ml cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 5 egg yolks
- 100 g castor sugar
- Bring milk, cream and vanilla bean to simmering point in a heavy-based saucepan.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar until light and foamy, then add in warm milk and cream.
- Return to rinsed-out pan and cook over a moderate heat for at least 10 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture thickens and coats back of spoon. If you have a thermometer (recommended), 82-85 °C is the temperature for a properly thickened custard.
- Strain into a cold bowl
- Scrape in some vanilla seeds from the split pod and stir through.
Best served: hot or cold
Best made with strongly flavored vanilla beans, such as mexican.
Eggs whites can be frozen or turned into meringues.
- Storage: Refrigerator for 2-3 days
- Freezer: No
- Reheat: Microwave