- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serves: 4-6
- 250 g long-grain or basmati rice
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 40 g butter
- 6 fresh medjool dates, pitted and diced
- 2.5 ml freshly ground black pepper
- 2.5 ml ground allspice
- 2.5 ml paprika
- Pinch of sea salt
- Half the peel of an orange, in a long strip
- 80 ml shredded flat leaf parsley
- 80 ml olive oil
- 125 ml flaked almonds, (optionally, roughly chopped)
- 100 ml pine nuts, (optionally, roughly chopped)
- 1.25 ml ground cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
You will need a clean tea towel.
- Rince rice in cold water, working it with your fingers to loosen the starch
- Drain off milky water and repeat until water is clear.
- Cover rice with cold water and let soak for 10 minutes, drain and rince.
- In a separate pot, bring the stock to a boil, then set to simmer.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Add dates, pepper, spices and stir.
- Gently stir in rice, ensuring all grains are coated with the spiced butter.
- Stir in the stock and add the salt.
- Bring to the boil.
- Add the orange peel.
- Cover with tight fitting lid.
- Cook over very low heat for 15-17 minutes.
- When done, the grains will be plump and separate and the surface will be dented with little holes.
- Remove pan from the heat and slide a clean, folded tea towel under the lid.
- Let stand for 20 minutes and make the nut garnish.
- Heat oil in a small frying pan.
- Sauté nuts until evenly colored.
- Pour nuts into a sieve.
- Sprinkle on cinnamon and salt.
- Shake sieve to eavenly coat nuts.
- Remove peel.
- Stir through parsley.
- Pour rice onto serving platter and cover with nuts.
Best served: Hot
- I usually double this recipe.
- Forbidden rice makes an excellent substitute and provides a deep nutty flavor, double all times if doing this.
- Storage: Refrigerator for 7 days
- Freezer: Unknown, unlikely
- Reheat: Microwave