- 50 g butter
- 150 g sugar
- 60 g self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml milk
- Grated rind and juice of a large lemon
- Separate yolks and whites of eggs.
- Grate rind of lemon and squeeze juice.
- Whip egg whites till stiff.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and add sugar gradually, then add sifted flour, grated rind and juice of lemon.
- Beat yolks with the milk (or just stir yolks into the milk) and add slowly stirring well.
- Fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the mixture.
- Pour into a greased dish.
- Stand dish in cold water and bake in a 180 ºC oven for about 45 minutes. If top begins to brown too much, cover with butter papers.
Best served: Hot, with cream
I usually double this recipe and add an extra lemon.
Variety of flavour may be attained if using only half quantity of lemon and half orange or 3 passionfruit.
- Storage: Refrigerator for 4-5 days
- Freezer: No
- Reheat: Microwave