- 80 ml tomato paste
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 6 osso bucco steaks (veal shanks)
- 40 ml butter
- 40 ml olive oil
- 20 ml raw sugar
- 250 ml dry sherry
- 125 ml water
- plain flour (for dusting meat)
- parsley (chopped)
- Cut the edges of the meat (to stop curling).
- Dust meat with seasoned flour.
- Heat oil and butter in pan
- Fry meat until brown.
- Remove meat to casserole dish and using same pan lightly fry vegetables.
- Mix sugar, tomato paste, sherry, water, salt and pepper in jug (until sugar dissolved) and add to vegetables.
- Check flavor of sauce and add sugar if too tart.
- Pour contents of pan over meat and cover with lid or foil.
- Add water if meat not completely covered.
- Cook at 160ºC for 2.5 hours.
Best served: Hot with rice or some other starch which soaks up the sauce
- Storage: Refrigerator for 3-4 days
- Freezer: Unknown (unlikely)
- Reheat: Microwave or Oven