- Prep Time: 45 minutes (3 x approximately 15 minute blocks)
- Cook Time: 4 - 5 hours of refrigeration
- Serves: 6 - 8
- Port wine jelly crystals to make 500 ml of jelly
- 300 g jam sponge roll
- 75 ml sherry
- 500 g fresh or canned peaches
- 300 ml heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 500 ml custard
- Make jelly as per packet and refrigerate until just beginning to set (about 2 hours).
- Cut sponge roll into 1 cm slices, place over base and around side of large serving bowl.
- Sprinkle sherry over sponge roll.
- Pour partly set jelly over sponge.
- Refrigerate until jelly set (about 2 hours).
- Place peaches over jelly.
- Pour custard over top.
- Top with cream.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Best served: Cold
Any fruit flavored jelly can be used (I prefer port wine, but strawberry is also quite acceptable).
Any sponge like cake works fine, jam is entirely optional (I usually go without).
A mix of peaches and nectarines or other stone fruit works well. Fresh fruit is definitely better.
Topping with berries is also excellent. I like a combination of blackberries, raspberries and blueberries.
If making custard using a vanilla bean recipe, leave out the vanilla as it’ll get drowned out by the other flavors. If you’re in a rush, packet custard can also be used (although fresh custard provides superior results).
- Storage: Covered in refrigerator
- Freezer: No
- Reheat: No